Resources and Tools
To view or print the PDF content on this page, download the free Adobe® Acrobat® Reader®
- An ongoing contract to map gene expression in the mouse nervous system by generating transgenic mice that carry a bacterial artificial chromosome (BAC) harboring the gene of interest and an EGFP reporter (principal investigator: Nathaniel Heintz at the Rockefeller University).
- GENSAT also generates BAC Cre-driver lines to serve as tools for cell-specific genetic manipulations in the nervous system (co-principal investigator: Charles Gerfen at NIMH).
- More information
A Blueprint-Funded Resource
- Supports the design, creation, and characterization of Cre-recombinase-expressing ("Cre-Driver") mouse lines on the C57B1/6 background, which can be used to drive expression of reporter genes and conditional-ready alleles in the mouse nervous system.
- More than 100 novel Cre Driver lines are available along with a recombinase-expression profile for each line.
- More information
- These NIH-supported facilities provide central archiving, quality control, and distribution of mouse strains and mouse embryonic stem cell lines.
- Blueprint supplements were awarded to two existing MMRRC sites, the University of California at Davis and the University of Missouri, to facilitate the distribution of mouse lines to the neuroscience community.
- A contract that gives NIH-funded researchers access to more than 250 lines of knock-out mice, and associated phenotypic data, from the private collections of Deltagen and Lexicon.
NIH Neuromice Consortium
- Three facilities whose purpose is to generate mutant mice with neural and/or behavioral phenotypes, and distribute them to researchers.
- Colonies of aged mice and rats available for research on aging and age-related diseases.
- Includes banks of flash-frozen tissue, as well as tissue arrays for histological studies across the rodent life span.
- Seeks to create a public bank of mouse embryonic stem cell lines that together contain a null mutation in every mouse gene.
- Maintains and distributes rat models of the retinitis pigmentosa type of inherited retinal degeneration.
- Produces, characterizes, and distributes mutant mouse strains with defects in embryonic and postembryonic development.
- A repository of frozen and fixed tissue collected from nonhuman primate species under contractual arrangement with Wisconsin National Primate Research Center.
- NIH information on the National Primate Research Centers and other resources for studies involving non-human primates.
Caenorhabditis Genetics Center
- Maintains over 1000 strains of the nematode C. elegans.
- Database and forum for information about C. elegans strains, genes, cell-level anatomy, and research methods.
- Maintains more than 20,000 fruit fly stocks, carrying all manner of mutations and genetic constructs.
- A comprehensive database of the Drosophila genome, with information about stock collections and fly genetic tools.
- Provides zebrafish lines, genetic tools, antibodies to zebrafish proteins, and assistance with fish rearing.