Biomarkers for NeurodegenerationClosed December 9, 2006 - Seventeen awards made in FY07.
- Unless neurodegenerative diseases can be diagnosed and treated at an early stage, irreversible cellular damage may occur.
- This initiative supports the development of biomarkers that can be used for risk assessment, diagnosis, and post-diagnosis monitoring of disease.
- Despite promising strategies for treating neurodegenerative disease - e.g., engineered proteins, antibody-based "vaccines," and RNA interference - delivery of these agents to the nervous system remains a challenge.
- This initiative supports the development of delivery tools, including new viral vectors and standardized cell lines.
- Provides interdisciplinary training in neurodegeneration research at the postdoctoral level.
- Enables established investigators to acquire interdisciplinary perspectives and skills in neurodegeneration research through short-term mentorship and training, typically during an academic sabbatical.